The Nuts and Bolts of Telepsychiatry, featuring Janet Wozniak, MD – Shrinking It Down
Did you know the first telepsychiatry visits at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), conducted back in 2014, weren’t for adults, but for children? Flash forward, we never imagined how critical teletherapy and telemedicine would become – in such a short period of time – as a part of routine healthcare for all age groups and populations, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In today’s episode of Shrinking It Down, we welcome special guest Dr. Janet Wozniak, Associate Chief of Quality and Safety for Department of Psychiatry at MGH, for a conversation about telepsychiatry. What is it? How has it been helping kids and teens? What barriers still exist for some families, and what are we doing to address them?
While virtual visits will never be the same as in-person, Dr. Wozniak talks about the gains for clinicians working with kids, like meeting other members of the family (including pets!) and getting a better sense of the home environment, which influences their day-to-day life. Plus, she shares concrete tips for making the most of your child or teen’s teletherapy visit.
Thank you for joining in this conversation. If you have a question about telepsychiatry, we’d love to hear from you. Write to us!
Follow along with the conversation.
- Janet Wozniak, MD (Massachusetts General Hospital)
- Janet Wozniak, MD: Bipolar Disorder and the Paradigm Shift in Pediatric Psychiatry (Massachusetts General Hospital – Charged Podcast)
- Support Kids and Teens Following the Riot In Our Nation’s Capitol (MGH Clay Center)
- What Is Telepsychiatry? (American Psychiatric Association)
- The Child Psychiatrist is In Your Living Room (MGH Clay Center)
- Emerging Technologies and the Frontiers of Autism Research (MGH Clay Center)
- Preparing For Your Child’s First Appointment With A Mental Health Clinician (MGH Clay Center)
- Make Telehealth for Behavioral Health Permanent (GBH News)
- VIRUS TODAY: Coronavirus deaths hit another daily high in US (The Associated Press)
- Hospitals vaccine rollout starts out rough, but picks up steam (Boston 25 News)
- Injections Of Second Coronavirus Vaccine Doses Have Begun (NPR)
Tune in wherever you get your podcasts – just search for ‘Shrinking It Down.’
Episode produced by Sara Rattigan
Episode edited by Joshua Eng
Music by Gene Beresin
Was this post helpful?
Your monthly dose of the latest mental health tips and advice from the expert team at The Clay Center.Subscribe
shrinking it down