Admissions Scandal, College Pressure, and Mental Health
Posted in: Podcast
On today’s show, Dr. Ellen Braaten joins Gene and Steve to think deeper about our American culture that’s contributed to issues like the recent college admissions scandal, as well as less extreme (and less fraudulent) measures we take to ensure our kids succeed at a level that’s far above-average. What message does it send to young people today when we have expectations of true perfection, or go as far to take actions to suggest they’re not good enough to succeed on their own?
We’ll discuss this and more. Write to us with your thoughts!
- CVS pharmacy plans to change music played when your call is put on hold (Good Morning America)
- 30 Fast Facts About The College Admissions Scandal (Forbes)
- Academic Testing Accommodations for ADHD: Do They Help? (Learning Disabilities: A Multidisciplinary Journal)
- IDEA Act (US Department of Education)
- Use of ‘smart drugs’ on the rise (Nature)
- We Can’t Talk About The College Admissions Scandal Without Discussing Mental Health (Huffington Post)
- High School Junior Stresses (MGH Clay Center)
- From the ashes, the dark phoenix rises again! (imgur)
- David Bowie – Space Oddity (Official Video, YouTube)
Technical direction provided by Andrew Bergner
Episode edited by Sara Rattigan
Music by Gene Beresin
Special vocal solo by Ellen Braaten
Was this post helpful?
Your monthly dose of the latest mental health tips and advice from the expert team at The Clay Center.Subscribe
shrinking it down