COVID-19 + Family Mental Health, Culture + Society
Over the past year, the Clay Center has worked to support even more young people by translating our free, online resources for Spanish-speaking parents and caregivers. In this time, we’ve seen high readership on topics like emotionally supporting kids and teens during COVID-19, the importance of sleep for child mental health, and how to help young people manage anxiety and stress.
On today’s episode of Shrinking It Down, Gene and Khadijah welcome special guest Dr. Angel Caraballo for a conversation about the unique mental health challenges impacting Latinx and Hispanic families. From his experience as a child and adolescent psychiatrist and also as a parent, Dr. Carraballo help us to think more about ways to address stigma and other barriers to accessing mental health care within Latinx communities.
Thank you for joining in this conversation. Do you have a question or comment about supporting the mental health of Latinx children and teens? We’d love to know. Write to us!
- Angel Caraballo, MD
- ‘This is trauma’: Latino children face mental health struggles during pandemic (KOLD News 13)
- Self-care for psychologists during the COVID-19 outbreak (American Psychological Association)
- 10 Consejos de Cuidado Personal para Padres (MGH Clay Center)
- 10 Self-Care Tips for Parents (MGH Clay Center)
- Migrant children are often their parents’ translators – and it can lead to ill health (The Conversation)
- The Power of Community Health During COVID-19: A Look at Chelsea, Massachusetts, featuring Mary Lyons-Hunter, PsyD – Shrinking It Down (MGH Clay Center)
- Conciencia del Estrés: Cómo Pueden Los Padres Ayudar A Sus Hijos Con El Estrés (MGH Clay Center)
- Stress Awareness: How Parents Can Help Their Children With Stress (English)
- La salud mental de su hijo: bienestar mental en ninos en edad escolar (NY Project TEACH)
- La salud mental de su hijo: bienestar mental en la adolescencia (NY Project TEACH)
- What Their Writing Told Me: The Taboo of Mental Illness In the Hispanic Community (MGH Clay Center)
- Desarrollar el bienestar mental en los niños: lo que los padres pueden hacer (MGH Clay Center)
- Building Mental Wellness in Children: What Parents Can Do (MGH Clay Center)
- Understanding Mental Illness in the Latinx Community (Al Día News)
- Tackling Racism Internally to Better Serve Our Communities – A Closer Look at Mass General’s 10-Point Plan, featuring Joseph Betancourt, MD, MPH (MGH Clay Center)
- It’s More Important Than Ever To Remove the Stigma Around Latinx Mental Health (Oprah Daily)
- Amid rise in hate attacks against Asian Americans, mental health expert provides advice on how to cope (ABC7 Eyewitness News)
- UMass Hockey Wins National Championship (University of Massachusetts Amherst)
- J&J Vaccine and Blood Clots: The Risks, if Any, Are Very Low (The New York Times)
- Clay Center En Español (MGH Clay Center)
Music by Gene Beresin
Episode edited by Joshua Eng
Thanks for visiting the Clay Center. We are entirely funded by visitors like you. We receive no
financial support from Massachusetts General Hospital or Harvard Medical School. Your support of our work
helps us to continue to produce content on mental health topics that support the emotional well-being of young people everywhere.
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.