Medications: For Better or Worse? featuring Timothy Wilens, MD – Shrinking It Down
Tune in wherever you get your podcasts. Just search for “Shrinking It Down.”
Many parents of kids struggling with a mental health issue have concerns – even fears – about medication as a part of treatment. Will it help? Will it hurt? What are the side effects? Today, Dr. Tim Wilens, chief of the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, joins Gene and Ellen to talk about prescribed medications, and other substances used recreationally to ease symptoms: How they can help, how they can harm, and how to know when medication should be considered for your child or teen. Plus, a closer look at medications for treating ADHD.
Thank you for joining in this conversation. Have a question or comment about medications and mental health? Write to us!
- Tim Wilens, MD, Chief, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (Massachusetts General Hospital)
- George Floyd: protests take place around the world (The Guardian)
- Today, Explained – “The Talk” (Vox)
- COVID-19 and College Students, featuring Khadijah Booth Watkins, MD (MGH Clay Center)
- When Medicines Affect a Child’s Mind and Behavior (The New York Times)
- Listen to “ADHD and Substance Use Disorders: How to Recongize and Manage Addiction” with Timothy Wilens, M.D. (ADDitude)
- A Literature Review and Meta-Analysis on the Effects of ADHD Medications on Functional Outcomes (Journal of Psychiatric Research)
- The Complicated Relationship Between Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Substance Use Disorders (Current Psychiatry Reports)
- Further Evidence for Smoking and Substance Use Disorders in Youth with Bipolar Disorder (Journal of Clinical Psychiatry)
- Familial Influences on Adolescent Substance Use (Psychiatric Times)
- Q+A: Once You Have Discovered Your Teen is Using Pot, What’s the Next Step? (MGH Clay Center)
- Recommended Alcohol Guidelines – Moderate (Social) Drinking Plan (Addictions and Recovery)
- Drug Prevention Tips for Every Age (Partnership for Drug-Free Kids)
- Dr. John A. Renner Jr. honored by MMS with Special Award for Excellence in Medical Service (Massachusetts Medical Society)
Episode produced by Sara Rattigan
Music by Gene Beresin
Was this post helpful?
Your monthly dose of the latest mental health tips and advice from the expert team at The Clay Center.Subscribe