How Do I Talk to My Kids About Gender and Sexuality? Ft. Dr. Marshall Forstein, MD, DLFAPA – Shrinking It Down
*Content warning: Some of the conversation today includes topics that some listeners may find sensitive including sexuality, gender identity, and violence towards members of the LGBTQIA+ community.
What is gender identity? How is it different from sexual orientation? And why are pronouns so important? We talk through all of these questions and more in this week’s episode. Gene and Khadijah are joined by special guest, Marshall Forstein, MD, DLFAPA, to discuss some of these common terms we are hearing more and more every day and give tips on how to have conversations with your kids about all of these topics. Tune in for one of our favorite episodes yet!
Follow along with the conversation.
- June is LGBT Pride Month (youth.gov)
- Reflections on Becoming a Father as a Gay Man (MGH Clay Center)
- How and why to discuss Juneteenth with your children (The Washington Post)
- LGBTQ+ Glossary (It Gets Better Project)
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Internet Pornography (MGH Clay Center)
- The Impact of Reality TV On Our Teens: What Can Parents Do? (MGH Clay Center)
- Getting to the Finish Line: Will You Choose Endurance or Resilience? (MGH Clay Center)
- Supporting Your Child in the Face of Trauma (MGH Clay Center)
- What is Family Therapy? (MGH Clay Center)
- Pink Freud & The Transitional Objects – 2020 AACAP Virtual Meeting – YouTube (YouTube)
Episode produced by Bianca Dempsey
Edited by Sara Rattigan
Music by Gene Beresin
Was this post helpful?
Your monthly dose of the latest mental health tips and advice from the expert team at The Clay Center.Subscribe